Friday, June 3, 2011

What's the easiest way to remove a stuck light bulb?

I have a pole lamp, and when I tried to change the light bulb the other day, it wedged in the socket, and now I can%26#039;t turn it either way. I%26#039;m scared it%26#039;s going to break in my hand if I twist too hard. Will I have to break it, and take the remainder out with plyers, or is there an easier way? Thanks!|||Put gloves on and assume it will break.|||sounds like your going to have to break the bulb..|||i say break it and then cut a potato in half, push over remainder of bulb and twist out (i saw it on a tv show once)|||believe this or not but it works, cut the power to it. then take a potato and snip the end of it off then press the potato onto the broke bulb and screw it right out.|||seems to me if you broke it and took the remainder out with pliers you would be done by now|||The second answer sounds good, If the bulb does break,


replace the socket with a new one - they%26#039;re only 3 or 4 bucks|||OK, chances are you%26#039;re gonna have to break the bulb and then try this. I tried it and it worked but it got a little messy, lol. Take a raw potato and cut it in half, hold it and use the newly cut area to push up into/onto the base of the broken bulb and then twist. Try a few times to get it really wedged on there and it should work. Like I said, I heard it somewher before and remembered it when I bulb got stuck in a fan and then broke in my hand.





P.S. There%26#039;s supposedly something about the potato not conducting electricity either.|||Obviously make sure the lamp is unplugged. Put on heavy gloves and hold the lamp over a garbage pail.Try turning the bulb back and forth a little bit ,this may free the bulb up. If this doesn%26#039;t work, just try to turn it out ,and if it breaks it breaks. If broken, try the potato thing first. If that doesn%26#039;t work take a needle nose pliers and carefully grab the edge of the part of light bulb that is left and try to unscrew it. If you are successful ,try putting a little lubricant on the bulb socket that is made for bulbs next time. Good luck.|||Try something in hand for better traction, i.e. rubber glove or the back of a bath mat. Also,try tightening it just a bit before attempting to loosen it. Sometimes works. I hope it isn%26#039;t crossthreaded.|||try a glove with a rubber band or 3 around it...great protection and grip...also put safety glasses on.





older sockets heat up over time and the bulb just gets stuck in there good. being an electrician, i have seen this many times.|||If you can get one of those rubber jar lide remover around some of the bulb youcan unscrew it with alittle pressure its easier if you


have big hands|||I%26#039;m probably too late with my suggestion but I agree that you will have to break the bulb off. But, forget the potato bit. Just get your screwdriver, put one turn of electrical tape over the end of the handle then turn the tape 180 degrees, sticky side out and wrap a few more turns on the handle. Remember, on the round end of the handle. Then just stick it in the socket, push, turn and the broken socket will come right out. I learned this trick more years ago than I care to tell. I figured it out when I didn%26#039;t have a potato in my tool belt when I was 25 feet off the ground on a light pole. %26lt;G%26gt; And it had power in it.